Alderley Edge has won the Cheshire ‘Tennis Club of the Year’ at the Cheshire LTA awards ceremony. The club does not enter for this award but is selected by the Cheshire LTA Committee and was one of five clubs nominated. We were then picked out by the Cheshire committee as one of three finalists and were finally selected as winners.
A great achievement and a first for the club.
The award was presented by Paul Bennett LTA Head of Northern Region and recognised the excellent coaching programme run by the coaching team as well as the fact that the club is installing 5 new artificial clay courts and an additional 5 sets of floodlights, setting up the club for the future. Construction is now well under way and the courts are due to be completed by spring.
And another trophy for the already full trophy cabinet!
Other awards won by club members were:
- Jan Slack - ‘Tennis for Life’ award - recognised for 35 years of fund raising for Cheshire LTA
- David Paterson - LTA National Team Organiser of the Year - for organising the Cheshire LTA Team Tennis leagues with the highest percentage of completed matches
- Stuart Murray - finalist in ‘Team of the Year’ as team coach / captain of the Under 14 Cheshire Boys team who reached the National finals - top eight in the country. Mason Dace was a member of the team.
- Ruth Samuels - finalist in ‘Volunteer of the Year’
Also recognised in the ‘Salute to the Champions’ were the following:
- Mason Dace - winner of the Cheshire Under 14 Boys Doubles
- Seb Jackson - winner of the over Cheshire 35 Mixed Doubles
- James Stokes - winner of the Cheshire over 55 singles
- Seb Jackson captained the 45 and over men’s team who finished fourth in the World Championship
A great evening for Alderley Tennis!