Summer 2019 has been a great junior tennis season. The season commenced with the opening of the new courts and continued with some fantastic successes for the junior players. Highlights include:
- The under 13 mixed team won the Youatt Cup – an event run by the JNECL league (the first time since 1984). The winning team comprised Ashley Baglin, Beth Lomas, Eddie Coppock and Anson Wong:
- The under 18 boys team won the Cheshire Shield – an event sponsored by the Cheshire LTA. The club has only won the trophy on two previous occasions – in 1983 and 2016. The winning team was Jonah Gethin, Mason Dace, Max Green and Leo Cullis:
- 17 summer teams were entered in two leagues – a record for junior tennis in the club:
- Of 10 LTA Team Tennis Teams (which includes mini tennis) , 2 won their leagues and a further 5 teams came second in their divisions. 11 girls and 33 boys played in the 10 teams.
- Of 7 JNECL teams one team won their division and another came second in a large competitive division. 11 girls and 19 boys played in the 7 teams.
- At the Court Opening Event 18 pairs entered the Quorn Cup (an event for a mini tennis player and an adult relative) – the largest ever entry. The winners were Richard and Louis Brindley and runners-up were Hugo and Howard Thompson
- Also at the Court Opening Event Stuart ran a schools competition for the first time and events for two age groups were held. Winners were Alderley Edge Community School in the older age group and Ryleys in the younger age group:
- In the Road to Wimbledon event 20 boys and 10 girls entered – again the largest ever entry. The boys' winner was Toby Jackson and the runner-up Eddie Coppock. The girls' winner was Beth Lomas and the runner-up
Ashley Baglin. Winners were invited to regional finals. Beth wasn’t available on the day so Ashley went to the girls’ event and went through to the quarter finals:
- The Junior Tournament was run in the first week on July and as in other years clashed with holidays – but a good level of entries and some competitive tennis played. Another fabulous event to end the summer term. Winners were as follows:
- Mini Red – Winner – Toby Clarke; Runner-up – Jack Doyle
Mini Orange – Winner – Annabel Wong; Runner-up – Oliver Halfpenney
- Mini Green – Winner – Annabel Wong; Runner-up – Kitty Roche
- Under 13 Boys – Winner – Rory McCabe; Runner-up – Finn O’Shea
- Under 13 Girls – Winner – Ashley Baglin; Runner-up – Isabella Taylor-Stokes
- Under 18 Boys – Winner – Toby Jackson; Runner-up – Oliver Carter
- Under 18 Girls – Winner – Isabella Taylor-Stokes; Runner-up – Beth Lomas
- In the Cheshire County finals Ashley Baglin and Beth Lomas were runners-up in the under 14 doubles title and Toby Jackson and Holly Jackson won the under 16 mixed title.
Well done to all the children, parents and volunteers who made this summer so much fun and all contributed to a fantastic summer season.
The autumn term is now underway and matches commence this weekend. The squads are in full swing - please contact Stuart Murray if you haven't yet signed up. Match-play events commence on Sunday 6th October - please contact Nathan Pacitto to sign up. Details of dates and age groups can be found on the Events page.
The junior club session formerly run on a Friday evening has been moved to Saturday afternoon at 4-5pm as a trial this term. Katie Roche is managing a WhatsApp group so you can hear about what is happening and who is attending - so if you wish to join this group please contact her.
Enjoy your autumn tennis!